The lazy days of summer can make it tough for kids to transition back into a structured school routine. However, with some planning, you can ease your family into new sleep and meal schedules. This article provides tips to help kids adapt to earlier bedtimes, packed lunches, and busy calendars as the school year kicks off.
Establishing Healthy Back-to-School Habits
Below are some tips to help your family embrace healthy routines as you transition from summer to the school year.
- Gradually adjust bedtimes earlier by 15 minutes each night before school starts.
- Engage kids in packing healthy lunches by letting them choose items at the store.
- Post a family calendar to track activities, dinners, etc.
- Squeeze in family walks or bike rides while weather is still nice.
- Use an after school checklist to stay organized.
DIY After School Schedule Board
An after school routine checklist helps kids stay on track with tasks like unpacking, homework, chores, and getting ready for tomorrow.
How to Make an Eraseable Checklist
Print the free checklist, trim to fit a photo frame if needed, and slip inside. Use a dry erase marker directly on the glass to customize and check off tasks.
Using a Routine After School
Post the schedule near your homework station for easy reference. Have kids check off tasks as they complete them. This provides expectations and structure.
Implementing tools like checklists helps kids adapt to earlier school time routines. Establish healthy habits with these tips for a smooth back-to-school transition.